Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Stupid Hypo

I haven’t had to go Hypo since my first RAI treatment. It was hell. I did take cytomel during my 2 weeks off synthroid, but little did I know if was like taking a shot of espresso every time I popped a pill! No wonder I still couldn’t sleep. I didn’t experience too much of a ‘down’ due to the cytomel. But I felt so out of it and crazy. Between that and the diet, I lost it a few times.


A year later, when Dr. Wolf told me I would be able to take thyrogen injections and stay on my meds, I cried tears of joy! I was so upset/happy/relieved, I couldn’t hold it in. Most of the time I don’t think my doctors understand what I’m going through in dealing with this disease, but at that moment, my face said it all.

I’ve now had thyrogen injections two years in a row. I am able to do the RAI testing with little interruption to my life besides the “stupid diet”.

I cannot imagine not having health insurance and being diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer. These shots alone cost $2,000, not to mention having to get RAI and a whole body scan.

Young adults are the most underinsured group in the US, and cancer is killing us. Can you imagine not being able to afford to get the care you desperately need?

1 comment:

  1. Everyone age above 50 should take desiccated bovine supplements and have his/her TSH levels checked at least once in every five years. Start at age 35 if you have thyroid trouble in your family. It's helpful.

    ReplyDelete