Wednesday, March 13, 2013

5 years gone by...

Wow, it's been five years since my first treatment and I'm cancer free! Woohoo!
I can't believe how many people have viewed my blog, I kind of forgot about it and happened to check it out today, over 600 views!
I hope I have helped a few peeps out there figure this shit out.

So, as I said, I am now 5 years thyroid cancer free. It's a relief for my mind and my wallet.
Last year my tests cost me $2,500, and that was with insurance. It's not cheap to be sick.

I don't know how people can afford to pay their hospital bills. I am still trying to negotiate mine down since I become unemployed in the last month.

Speaking of being unemployed, I had to find new health insurance, and COBRA wasn't an option due to the size of the company (under 20 people).
I was very worried because I know that they can reject me due to "Pre-existing Conditions".

Well, let me tell you. January 2014, no one will be denied, but of course, this is 2013.

I talked to several companies who said I couldn't be covered.
So I called an Insurance Broker locally. He had just set another woman up with insurance who had thyroid cancer and voila, I'm insured.
I do have to pay a little extra due to all the meds I'm on, but for $400 a month, I'm just happy to have it right now. I highly recommend going to someone who knows the companies, can shop around and take the pressure off of you.

Enough about that, I am happy to say that after five years you only have to do the 'stupid diet' like every 3 years or something. Yes, I still hate it!

More to come since I'm unemployed, why not start blogging again!









No comments:

Post a Comment